This page is currently under construction. Thanks for your patience. Please come back to visit us soon.
This history is as yet, very incomplete.
By the 1940 the Worthington Historical Society was active with members including folks from the Stevens family of Williamsburg Road. Evidently, one of the Stevens’ was a judge in Hampshire County, MA.
While recent annual meetings have been held at the headquarters building, built in 1998, the July 1954 annual meeting was held in the living room of Clarence A.G. Pease, an executive with the General Motors Corporation (GMC) who was living in the present (2012) home of Ed and Sue Lewis. Mr. Pease did not like the ‘bright work’ featured on late 1940’s and ’50’s automobiles. He had gray Chevrolets with no chrome (‘bright work’) crafted for him.
The Worthington Historical Society incorporated in 1961.
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) granted the society a tax exemption under IRS Code 501(c)(3) in 1992. This designation allows contributors to the society to deduct their contributions from itemized income taxes.
The Society moved to its new headquarters located at Worthington Corners in 1998.